paperTHINKtank is a community-accessible creative hand papermaking studio in the Port Richmond neighborhood of Philadelphia, dedicated to making paper, collaborating with artists, and growing the paper, print, and book communities of the city. paperTHINKtank produces sustainable and local handmade paper and books using invasive plants and renewable resources. We offer classes and workshops in the craft of sheet production, and specialize in the creative applications of paper and paper pulp to make original paper artworks. The goal of paperTHINKtank is to strengthen the community of hand papermakers in Philadelphia and bring greater visibility to an underrecognized artform.
● Fine Handmade Papers
- Offering high quality custom fine art papers in a variety of sizes, colors, weights, and using various fibers.
- Sheet sizes range from stationery size to broadsides, and large format 19″ x 26″ up to 48″ x 84″
● Pulp Beating
- Converting raw fiber from plant or textile sources into paper pulp suitable for its intended purpose (2D or 3D).
- Standard fibers (cotton, abaca, flax, etc), rag (linen, cotton, etc), and invasive plants (suitable for papermaking) can be used in any combination to make custom paper pulps.
● Creative Collaboration
- Partnering with local and national artists to make custom editions of paper and/or paper artworks, unique or editioned, for special projects.
- Techniques and formats include: pulp painting, pulp printing, sculptural paper, and artist books.
- resident artists of Brandywine Workshop & Archives https://brandywineworkshopandarchives.org
- resident artists of The Brodsky Center at PAFA https://brodskycenter.com
- Alexis Granwell https://www.alexisgranwell.com
- Daniel Heyman http://www.danielheyman.com/new-portfolio.html
- Susan Viguers https://www.susanviguers.com/books
- People’s Paper Co-op http://peoplespaperco-op.weebly.com/freeourmothers.html
Nicole Donnelly is a hand papermaker and visual artist specializing in sculptural paper artworks. She is the President of the International Association of Hand Papermakers and Paper Artists (IAPMA), 2015–2021; and the founder and master papermaker of the creative papermaking studio paperTHINKtank. She teaches paper and book arts at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art and other institutions. She received her MFA from the University of Iowa in 2009 and her BA from Bennington College. She has received grants and fellowships to complete residencies at Obara Paper Art Museum in Japan; the Philadelphia Museum of Art; Morgan Conservatory of Paper; Goldwell Open Air Museum; Vermont Studio Center; and Women’s Studio Workshop; and her artwork has been exhibited throughout the United States and internationally in Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Germany, Israel, Japan, Korea, Mexico, and the UK.